In 2023 the ride is scheduled in both Northbound (starts 20 Apr) and Southbound (starts 20 Jun) directions.
All nights are camping. Upgrades can be arranged at many locations but we suggest you do this on the ride on the day, or in the days before. This is a long, tough ride and we encourage everyone to be in a mindset for a month of camping.
We are not offering an advance bookable set of accommodations.
Days ending at bush camps have flexible distances. If conditions on these days are favorable, distances may be extended by up to 20 km. For example, a helpful tailwind.
2023 NORTHBOUND SCHEDULE
19th April. On the day prior we travel Adelaide to Port Augusta on our mini-coaches. Hotel bag pick ups from 0700. Loading of bikes beside Central Bus Station 0900. Grab some breakfast at Central Markets. Travel takes about 5-6 hours including a lunch break enroute.
1. 20th April. Port Augusta to Quorn. 40 km sealed. Climb picturesque Pichi Richi Pass. Quorn is full of history and is base for the Pichi Richi Railway. (L)
2. 21st April. Quorn to Hawker. 65 km sealed. Gentle grades among extensive Flinders Ranges mountain landscapes. We've adjusted from earlier G2Gs to make days 2+3 easier - or enable riding the gravel via the Mawson trail and/or Buckaringa Gorge (we used to do 120km to Wilpena in one day). (BL)
3. 22nd April. Hawker to Wilpena 55km sealed. Gentle height gain and the scenery becomes increasingly mountainous. Take a hike in the afternoon or an extra ride out on the Mawson Trail. (BLD)
4. 23rd April. Wilpena to Angorichina Village. 80 km including 65 km sealed. Mountain scenery. Some climbs. Take care on steep dirt descents after Blinman. (BLD)
5. 24th April. Angorichina to Copley. 85 km including option of 35 km gravel via Beltana 'ghost town'. Staying on the sealed Outback Highway is easier. Leigh Creek is a 1970s relic of coal mining times and hosts the last 'supermarket' before Mt Isa. (BL)
6. 25th April. Copley to Marree. 115 km all sealed. Entering desert country. Lyndhurst is morning tea stop and has a pub and roadhouse. See the Aboriginal ochre pits and Farina township ruins. Mostly flat. (BL)
7. 26th April. Marree rest day. Explore the town, railway station, yacht club, cultural centre. Possible Lake Eyre flights and 4wd tours. (B)
8. 27th April. Marree to Clayton Station. 55 km dirt. Commence the Birdsville Track. Some small rises to keep views changing and interesting. Ruins of 19C date palm plantation. Spa tub at end of day beside the Track, outside of the turn off to Clayton Station! (BLD)
9. 28th April. Clayton to Cooper Creek bush camp. 85 km dirt. Settle in to a longer second day riding the Birdsville Track! (BLD)
10. 29th April. Cooper Creek to Mungerannie 70 km dirt. An easier day. Arrive early afternoon to enjoy this remote oasis. (BL)
11. 30th April. Rest day at Mungerannie. Enjoy the warm lake (was low in 2022), shady trees and roadhouse hospitality and bar. (BL)
12. 1st May. Mungerannie to bush camp. 80-90 km dirt. Undulating desert country with occasional points to look at. (BLD)
13. 2nd May. Bush camp to bush camp. 80-90 km dirt. (BLD)
14. 3rd May. Bush camp to bush camp. 80-90 km dirt. (BLD)
15. 4th May. Bush camp to Birdsville. 50-75 km dirt. Some sandy parches today will entertain those with narrower tyres. We'll aim for a late morning or early afternoon arrival. (BL)
16. 5th May. Rest day at Birdsville. Relax, stroll about the iconic town. Hop on the bus out to Big Red sand dune at the edge of the Simpson Desert. Enjoy the bakery and pub. (B)
17. 6th May. Birdsville to bush camp. 100-120 km, possibly all sealed by 2023. Undulating and flat Channel Country. (BLD)
18. 7th May. Bush camp to Bedourie. 70-90 km mostly sealed. Undulating and flat Channel Country. Possible remaining gravel section through the wetlands of Cuttaburra Crossing. Arrive with time to enjoy the artesian pools. (BL)
19. 8th May. Bedourie to bush camp. 100-120 km sealed. Undulating and flat Channel Country. (BLD)
20. 9th May. Bush camp to Boulia. 70-90 km sealed. Undulating and flat Channel Country. (BL)
21. 10th May. Boulia to bush camp. 100-120 km sealed. Country becoming greener and first sight of mountains since Flinders Ranges. (BLD)
22. 11th May. Bush camp to bush camp. 100-120 km sealed. Village of Dajarra has a friendly store. Country greener and hillier. Spectacular scenery after Dajarra (BLD)
23. 12th May. Bush camp to Mt Isa. 60-100 km sealed. Morning ride through mountain scenery into Mt Isa city. Gentle grades. (BL)
24. 13th May. Rest day in Mt Isa. See the Isa, consider underground tours of the giant mine and WW2 hospital. (B)
25. 14th May. Mt Isa to Cloncurry. 120 km sealed. A fast run on the highway shoulder. Hills, curves and gentle grades. We're now doing this on a Sunday and there is the choice of the train! (BL)
26. 15th May. Cloncurry to Terry Smith rest area. 80 km sealed. Mostly flat, scrubby grazing country. Have a look at Cloncurry's sights before riding out. (BLD)
27. 16th May. Bush camp to Burke & Wills Roadhouse. 100 km. Mostly flat, scrubby grazing country. (BL)
28. 17th May. Burke & Wills Roadhouse to Bang Bang rest area. 95 km. Mostly flat, scrubby grazing country. (BLD)
29. 18th May. Bang Bang to Normanton. 110 km. Mostly flat, scrubby grazing country. Becoming more tropical. See the station and (if running) an evening ride on the Gulflander train. (BL)
30. 19th May. Normanton to Karumba. 70 km. Flat riding across Gulf Country. You'll be pleased to see the sea shore - finish in time for lunch of fish 'n chips! Get together tonight at Sunset Tavern.(BL)
31. 20th May. Rest day in Karumba. RELAX!! Take a cruise up the river or a fishing charter. (B)
32-33. 20-21st May. Transfer to Cairns by our bus is included, travelling via Croydon, possible visit to Undarra Lava Tubes (aborted due to their staff shortage in 2022) and Atherton Tableland. This is a 2 day trip including some sightseeing. Approx 750 km. Lunches and dinners are extra. (B)
B - breakfast, L - lunch, D - dinner
SOUTHBOUND IS THE REVERSE BUT WITH SAME DAY TRANSFER FROM PORT AUGUSTA TO ADELAIDE AFTER THE RIDE ENDS.