OUTBACK QLD RAIL-ROAD-RIDE 2023
AN EPIC ROAD BIKE RIDE IN 3 STAGES BETWEEN OUTBACK RAIL-HEADS!
Come along for a road ride in three stages on Queensland’s growing outback network of sealed roads. This is a great introduction to Outback Queensland.
Each stage begins or ends at outback rail-heads and with the event we want to also show the potential for outback road-cycling to match with QR’s long-distance outback trains.
- Overnight camps will be in towns, beside remote pubs and at rest areas.
- Distances vary from 64 to 193 km.
- Stages 1 and 3 are milder averaging 110 and 125 km per riding day.
- Stage 2 is tougher averaging 170 km per riding day.
There are a good number of rest days at key points.
Come for one, two or all three stages!
Further details are available on request.
Registrations are open - email: email@example.com
We'll offer travel for riders and bikes from Noosa and Brisbane to Charleville. It is also serviced by the QR Westlander twice-weekly and Bus Queensland twice-daily to/from Brisbane. Flights to/from Brisbane.
‘Qantas 101’ 535 km, 5 ride-days, start 11 May 2023, cost $1000:
Ride in successive days Charleville – Augathella – Tambo – Blackall – Isisford – Longreach. Rate includes camping overnights prior in Charleville and x 2 in Longreach.
QR’s Spirit of the Outback departs Longreach twice-weekly for Rockhampton and Brisbane. Also daily Bus Qld services towards Brisbane, Rockhampton or Mt.Isa. Flights to/from Brisbane.
‘Min Min Lights’ 840 km, 5 ride-days, start 19 May 2023, cost $1200:
Ride some big days Longreach – Winton (rest day) – Middleton Pub – Boulia (rest day) – Dajarra – Mt Isa.
QR’s Inlander departs Mt.Isa twice-weekly for Townsville. Also daily Bus Qld services towards Brisbane or Townsville. Flights to/from Brisbane.
‘Gulf Country’ 870 km, 7 ride days, start 28 May 2023, cost $2000:
Riding Mt Isa – Cloncurry – Terry Smith Rest Area – Burke & Wills Roadhouse (drive to Lawn Hill Gorge for 2 rest days) – Bang Bang Rest Area – Normanton – Karumba (2 rest days & bus transfer back to Normanton) – Croydon – Georgetown then on our bus to Forsayth. The ride is scheduled to coincide with rail services. Instead of cycling, participants can choose to ride QR Inlander from Mt. Isa to Cloncurry and/or Gulflander from Normanton to Croydon. Taking both trains cuts the cycling distance to 600km.
At the end of the event participants can choose either the Savannahlander train (or our bus) to travel from Forsayth to Cairns.
Event includes support vehicle/s, camping, all breakfasts, lunches on ride days and dinners on remote camp nights. In towns and at isolated pubs, we will dine locally (your cost).
Pricing for the event is based on:
• $200 per ride day, $100 per rest day during a stage
• If doing two or more stages there is no charge for rest days and overnights between stages in Longreach (x4n) and Mt Isa (x3n) - we'll cover camping/breakfasts regardless of which days you choose to arrive or leave
• Riders doing just one stage have included one night before and after. A charge of $50 applies for additional overnights for camping/gear/breakfast, for example staying longer with the event in Longreach for a 2nd or 3rd night.
Includes: Option to travel on our bus any day instead of riding / camping costs and equipment / breakfasts, refreshment stops and lunches on ride days / on several rest area nights campsite dinners are included / gear transfers / tired rider pick-ups / water points enroute. Prices include GST.
Companions can join the event and travel on our bus at a half rate and assist on light duties – a great value holiday with the chance to ride lots of trains too!
- Upgrades to cabin or pub accommodation is fine with us (if organised by you, either ahead or on the event)
- Train options – example if you catch the Gulflander instead of riding your bike 150 km!
- Local sightseeing with other operators
- Our bus+bike transfers: SE Qld to Charleville $150 and/or Forsayth to Cairns $150
More details available on request.